Dr Aneliya Bakalova is a qualified clinical psychologist and adult psychodynamic psychotherapist. Her professional interest and passion lays in supporting others to overcome life challenges and reach a point of meaningful, satisfying and healthy existence.
Over the past ten years Aneliya has worked with people from different age groups, and cultural and social backgrounds. She has practiced clinically in mental health (NHS), forensic and charitable organisations, and has supervised and consulted to other mental health, social care, and criminal justice professionals. Her work to date has included psychological assessments, individual and group therapy, expert-witness reports, and training and group consultation to staff. Aneliya is experienced in providing assessment and treatment for:
• Traumatic experiences, including adversity in childhood
• Low self-esteem
• Relational problems (both intimate and social)
• Psychosexual difficulties
• Aggression towards self and others
• Personality difficultiesThis is not an exhaustive list and Aneliya aims to avoid categorising and compartmentalising the difficulties of an individual. Her experience has taught her that the interaction between biology and environment is a complex one, and that we change throughout our whole lives. She therefore takes a developmental and holistic approach to understanding the problems of a person, and focuses on creating an environment where meaning can be sought and made of both troubling and positive experiences.Aneliya’s academic and research interests are currently focused on the relationship between individual health and well-being, and the wider social, political and cultural environment. She is in the process of developing interdisciplinary collaborations (with experts from the fields of the arts, sciences and humanities) that explore our relationship with the natural environment and the potential to find creative responses to climate change.
Aneliya has completed a Doctorate in Clinical Psychology (DClinPsych) at the University of Essex. She is a registered practitioner psychologist with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC).Aneliya has also qualified as an adult psychodynamic psychotherapist with the Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust. She is a full member of the Tavistock Society of Psychotherapists and the British Psychoanalytic Council (BPC).